Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Caught Ya Peeking at my Pot O’ Gold!

It’s the age old debate in my First Grade group…Do they only need to IDENTIFY the coins, or COMBINE coins?  MONEY.

Munny, Munny, MUUUUNNNNNEYYY!  MONEY!

I struggle with this every year, and depending on the group, sometime my approach is this:

“If they can tell me what the coins are, AND how much they are worth, my job is done!”

And sometimes, in years such as this, when I have been blessed with “student’s that need a challenge”, AND a plethora of parent helpers my approach is this:

“Make em add everything in sight, it’s the most used real life skill they will ever use!”

Either way you look at it, I created these two little Pot ‘O Gold Money pages.  Even on great years, the simple lil identification page will fit great into independent centers, while the combining page will lend to those extra parent helper moments…WA. LA!

Coin Identification…

Lost Leprechaun

Coin Combining…

Leprechaun Money

Thanks to Kirsten at KPMDoodles for the great Clip Art!

Chat Soon! - Kim

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it is the big debate with the new Common Core Standards. Last year, with Touch Money, my students were combining money by this time of year. Now we have not even started it yet! I plan on teaching it in May and June. Thanks for the cute freebie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great *freebie* and I am so excited that I found your through Erica's blog. I am your newest follower.

    I would love for you to pay me a visit when you can. I have LOTS of *freebies*! =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete